Vegetarian Inspired with Dairy Free and Gluten Free Options
If you are looking for a creamy vegetarian option for Alfredo Sauce…This could be the end of your search. 🙂 This recipe was adapted from several different online recipes and ideas. No credit to one person or site in particular.
Even my husband who loves the real deal alfredo sauce liked this recipe, quite a lot actually! Both of my children really liked it. Even I was surprised at how yummy it turned out~
Time: 1 hour / Serves: 4-6
- 6 cups water (plus more for cooking your pasta – as directed on pasta package)
- 1-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1-1/4 cup milk (We used Flax Milk for a dairy free option)
- 4 Tablespoons butter (We used Earth Balance for a dairy free option)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley (or fresh if you have it, to taste)
- 1 head broccoli, cut to bite size
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb pasta (We used Barilla Gluten Free Spaghetti noodles for a gluten-free option)
- Fresh parsley, to serve
- In one pot: Start cooking your pasta following package directions.
- When pasta is al dente, strain pasta and place it back in the pan with olive and toss together to keep from sticking. Set aside off heat to keep warm.
- At the same time (In a second pot): Boil 6 cups water over medium-high heat. Add a large pinch of salt.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Add cauliflower florets to the pot of boiling water and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until cauliflower is soft.
- Chop onion, mince 2 cloves of garlic, and cut broccoli into bite-size pieces.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat: Saute chopped onions, broccoli pieces, 2 minced garlic cloves, and season with salt & pepper to taste. Cook until broccoli is soft & slightly browned. Set aside off heat to keep warm.
- Using blender: Add cooked cauliflower using a slotted spoon, milk, butter, 4 remaining garlic cloves, dried parsley, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. (You may need to add more butter or milk depending on the consistency you desire).
- Toss the cooked pasta, sauteed/cooked broccoli and “alfredo mixture” together. (Add any other options at this point such as chicken and sauteed mushrooms – and toss all together).
- Serve topped with fresh parsley (And cheese topping of choice, if desired)
Add-In Options: Cooked chicken or shrimp. Sauteed Mushrooms. Shredded or grated cheese of choice on top, at serving.
Notes: This is good heated up as left overs~
Hope you enjoy this recipe and please leave comments if you try it and tell me what you think. What else could be used or substituted? We are fairly new to vegetarian type cooking.
Have a great day!