Chickpea “Chicken” Salad (vegan)
If you are craving a chicken salad sandwich or want to top your salad with something new, you’ve got to try this recipe. It really does taste like chicken salad (without the chicken). This is plant-based, vegan and is dairy and gluten free. Trust me, you will love it.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 dill pickle, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Rinse and drain chickpeas well. Set aside.
- Chop celery, dill pickle, red onion, and green onions.
- Place chickpeas in a medium-size bowl and roughly mash with a fork. Leave some of the chickpeas whole for texture.
- Add in all the chopped ingredients. Along with lemon juice, mayonnaise, and mustard. Combine well. Adding in salt and pepper to taste as you go.
Chickpeas are the same as garbanzo beans.
Mash your chickpeas with a potato masher if you prefer. The fork mashes quicker and works better for me. Your choice.