Chicken Tamale Pie
This meal is easy and full of flavor. It also includes a lot of pantry items which is great for putting a quick meal together. It is ready in under and hour and super simple to make ~
I made this recipe as simple as possible and even used canned chicken. Believe it or not you can really get a can of chicken to taste really delicious by adding in a few spices and warming it on the stove-top in a pan. This comes in handy when you are out of chicken or need a quick meal ~
Prep: 20 minutes / Cook: 25 min / Yields: 1 Pie
For the Chicken Filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled and diced)
- 2 cans (12.5 oz) white chicken breast, in water or 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 cups green salsa
- 1 can (15 oz) beans (pinto, black, red, your choice), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
For the Cornbread Topping
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese (or cheese of choice)
- 1 can (15 oz) golden sweet corn kernels (or 1 cup fresh or frozen)
- 1-2 teaspoons dried cilantro (or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh)
- 4-6 green onions, rinsed and chopped
- Chopped black olives
- Sour cream
- Sliced avocados
Steps To Make It:
- Get your butter out of the fridge and dice it up, set it on a plate to come to room temperature.
- Dice your onions. Open all your canned items and drain / rinse as indicated above.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Warm your cast iron skillet on medium and add in the olive oil and diced onion. Cook on medium heat, stirring often until the onions are translucent. (About 4-5 minutes)
- Add in the garlic powder, black pepper and taco seasoning, stir and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the chicken, beans, and green salsa. Stir in to combine, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together. Add the softened butter and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, stir (or sift) to combine the flour, cornmeal, salt & baking powder.
- Stir in half the milk and half the dry mixture to the bowl of eggs, sugar and butter until combined.
- Stir in the remaining milk and dry mixture, until combined.
- Fold in the corn, cheese, and cilantro until combined.
- Place dollops of corn bread mixture over the cooked chicken mixture in the cast iron skillet and even out as good as you can.
- Sprinkle top with a little extra cilantro and bake for 25 minutes.
- Once done cooking, I let the pan rest for about 5 minutes and spoon the portions into a bowl, top with diced green onions and options or choice ~
If you do not have a cast iron skillet, no worries ~ Simply follow steps 1-6, then spoon chicken mixture into a ceramic or glass (oven safe) 9×13 baking dish, top with cornbread mix and bake.
I imagine that a combination or red salsa and black beans would also be good as a substitute or to change it up from time to time.
Adding a squeeze of fresh lime juice to top it off before eating may bring a bit of zest and flavor to the meal as well. I love fresh lime juice over the top of most anything Mexican flavored 😊
Hope you like it and let me know in the comments if you tried this or added anything different to change it up a bit.
Links to baking items: