Vegetarian Black Bean Chili & Plantain Tostada Cups
Great for an appetizer, snack or small meal. These Vegetarian Black Bean Chili and Plantain Tostado Cups are simple and delicious.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 medium white or yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 plantain
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 1/2 cup chili beans, in mild chili sauce (do not drain or rinse)
- 1 cup cheese of choice, (shredded or crumbled)
- Cooking/Baking Spray
- Red onion, diced
- Green onions, chopped
- Avocados, chopped
- Sour Cream
- Pico de Gallo
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray the inside of the muffin tins/cups with cooking/baking spray of choice and set aside.
- Chop your onion, garlic, and plantain to similar sizes.
- De-seed and dice jalapeno.
- Add cooking oil of choice to a medium pan on medium high heat.
- Add in diced onion, garlic, plantain and jalapeno and sauté until onions are soft, about 5-8 minutes.
- Season with desired amounts of salt and pepper to your liking
- Remove from heat, add in beans and combine all together.
- Place your tortillas in the muffin tins.
- Fill each tortilla “cup” with chili mixture until almost full.
- Add shredded or crumbles cheese of choice on top.
- Bake until the tortillas are golden brown on the tips and he cheese has melted. About 12-15 minutes.
- Top with desired ingredients and enjoy!
Tip to reheating and softening your corn tortillas (without oil)… Heat a small pan on medium high heat. Dip your clean fingers in a cup of water and lightly rub the water on one side of the tortilla. Place the moist side down in the pan and lightly sprinkle the top while in the pan. Be sure to flip often so they do not stick or burn. They will become soft and pliable. Place them together (in a stack) inside a tea towel or aluminum foil. Close up well to keep the heat from escaping. The moisture and heat will create a little steam and keep them soft so that they won’t tear (like mine did) as you are placing them in the muffin tins.
You could also use flour tortillas – Just a biscuit cutter to cut 4 in circles to place in each muffin tin.
To make it really easy or for mini appetizers… You could use the chips that already shaped in taco cup forms (Tostidos Brand “Scoops” comes to mind) and fill with the chili bean & plantain mixture and heat until cheese on top melts.